[Openstack-operators] Multi nic configuration documentation

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Sun Aug 12 22:11:10 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 3:38 AM, Jānis Ģeņģeris
<janis.gengeris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also I would like to configure VMs so that the public IP is assigned
> to separate VM interface and visible with ifconfig from inside of the VM. Is
> this possible to do with FlatDHCP and without Quantum?

As Joe said, no...but while the public IP isn't available via ifconfig
but you can get it from the metadata service (provided that's
configured correctly)[1], for example from within the vm:

curl http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data/public-ipv4

I'm not 100% sure what this shows with multiple nics as I only use a
single nic on my vms.

You could possibly code something up if you had openstack credentials
within the vm that it would check its instance ID from the metadata
service (curl http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data/instance-id)
then use euca2ools (metadata give an ec2 compatible interface so id
will be wrong for use with nova client) to assign the ip it wants to
itself, but this is definitely not a common usage.  Typically you use
the same tool to assing the public IP as you did to launch the
instance (python-novaclient, euca2ools, Horizon Dashboard web
interface, Hybridfox, or the API)

-Jon

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/essex/openstack-compute/admin/content/metadata-service.html