[Openstack-operators] [Openstack] Mailing-list split

Matt Ray matt at opscode.com
Mon Apr 30 18:37:36 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Duncan McGreggor <duncan at dreamhost.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Everett Toews <everett.toews at cybera.ca> wrote:
>> Hi Stefano,
>>
>> I was replying to Duncan's email, not Thierry's. I'm all for the new
>> openstack-dev list.
>>
>> It was Duncan's proposal that the other lists be split as so.
>>
>> 1. openstack-dev = Dev
>> 2. openstack = Ops
>> 3. openstack-operators = DevOps
<snip>

I think adding the "openstack-dev" list will help alleviate traffic on
"openstack", but we should keep 3 mailing lists. The "openstack" one
will probably continue to be a mix of traffic, and as new community
members become more familiar with the mailing list landscape they'll
move to the proper lists (with gentle encouragement as well). With
more visibility and encouragement, more focused operations questions
will get to the proper "openstack-operators" list in the future
(likewise -dev). I don't expect mailing list traffic to decrease in
the future, so reducing the number of mailing lists seems unnecessary.

Thanks,
Matt Ray
Senior Technical Evangelist | Opscode Inc.
matt at opscode.com | (512) 731-2218
Twitter, IRC, GitHub: mattray