[Openstack-operators] [Openstack] Mailing-list split

Everett Toews everett.toews at cybera.ca
Mon Apr 30 16:12:24 UTC 2012

I'm always an advocate for one less thing. If it makes sense to do so, I
would rather have two things than three. It's simply a matter of less
complexity and less confusion. I'm not convinced we need three lists.

Duncan, you describe the audience for the openstack list as "folks who are
not code contributors, but standing up OpenStack itself". To me that
sounds, at least in part, to be the role of Ops people.

It's strange to me that we would take the existing mailing list
openstack-operators and move the Ops people on it to the openstack list and
repurpose the openstack-operators for DevOps people.

It's even stranger to me that a list devoted to DevOps would exclude the
Ops people, the openstack-operators for DevOps and openstack for Ops split.
One of the major tenants of DevOps is to be inclusive of Ops. I think the
new DevOps community could learn a lot from the kinds of questions that Ops
people are asking about OpenStack. And vice versa, the Ops people could
give input on solutions being worked on by DevOps.

What is your justification for excluding the Ops from DevOps?

And sorry, I don't buy the "don't have the time to devise a solution
for creating appropriate filters" argument. It takes 10 seconds to create a
filter to shunt mailing list traffic to another folder/label away from your
inbox.

To me it seems like you don't want to be on the Dev list and you don't want
to be on the Ops list, you want your own DevOps list. I *applaud* the
re-jump-start of the OpenStack DevOps community but I don't think isolating
yourselves is the way to go.

I agree that it might take a cycle to sort out and I agree that we should
make one small change at the time, measure/evaluate and keep changing as
needed. If one list or the other does not have much traction by the next
Summit, we should consider a merge.

But even before then, please do consider whether or not the DevOps
community really needs its own list.

Everett