[Openstack-operators] [Ops] OpenStack and Operations: Input from the Wild

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri Apr 6 22:07:10 UTC 2012

On 06/04/12 03:52, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
> For anyone interested in DevOps, Ops, cloud hosting management, etc.,
> there's a proposed session we could use your feedback on for topics of
> discussion:
>   http://summit.openstack.org/sessions/view/57
>
> Respond with your thoughts and ideas, and I'll be sure to add them to the list.

I unintentionally overlapped topics with your proposal (I didn't see if
when I posted mine).

  http://summit.openstack.org/sessions/view/93

Mine has now been accepted by Vish. If yours is accepted I will ask for
mine to be dropped, otherwise y'all should come to mine and just talk
real fast.

A bit about myself because I've been really quiet on this list. I've
just finished a six year stint at Google as a Site Reliability Engineer,
and now work at Canonical in a similar position. I'm also a nova
developer, having come to OpenStack about four months ago now. I wrote
the image cache manager for libvirt for essex, and have been actively
working on how to make ops less painful, so I'm very interested in what
you folk have to say.

So far my ops improvements have been:
 - image cache management
 - consistent logging of instance uuid if the error message relates to
an instance
 - timestamps for stack traces in the logs

I wrong a really long self indulgent blog post about all of this
yesterday at http://www.stillhq.com/openstack/000005.html

Mikal