[Openstack-operators] Starting large VMs takes quite long

Till Mossakowski Till.Mossakowski at dfki.de
Wed Oct 19 16:04:04 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have set up openstack using stackops.
I have installed one controller node and one compute node (each using
two 1GBit NICs), following the book "Deploying Openstack".
I am using nova-objectstore for storing images.

Now starting a machine with a 5G image takes quite a while, probably
because the image is mounted via nfs to the compute node.

With libvirt, I am used to start VMs instantly. Is there a way to do the
same with openstack? The image would need to be stored directly on the
compute node, of course. Ideally, in a network with more nodes, the lots
of images I have would be distributed to compute nodes in advance, and a
special scheduler would select a compute node holding the needed image.
Is this possible with openstack?

Best,
Till

--
Prof. Dr. Till Mossakowski  Cartesium, room 2.51 Phone +49-421-218-64226
DFKI GmbH Bremen                             Fax +49-421-218-9864226
Safe & Secure Cognitive Systems             Till.Mossakowski at dfki.de
Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5, D-28359 Bremen   http://www.dfki.de/sks/till

principal office, *not* the address for mail etc.!!!:
Trippstadter Str. 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
management board: Prof. Wolfgang Wahlster (chair), Dr. Walter Olthoff
supervisory board: Prof. Hans A. Aukes (chair)
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313