[Openstack-operators] XFS documentation seems to conflict with recommendations in Swift

Gordon Irving gordon.irving at sophos.com
Thu Oct 13 22:11:59 UTC 2011

If you are on a Battery Backed Unit raid controller, then its generally safe to disable barriers for journal filesystems.  If your doing soft raid, jbod, single disk arrays or cheaped out and did not get a BBU then you may want to enable barriers for filesystem consistency.

For raid cards with a BBU then set your io scheduler to noop, and disable barriers.  The raid card does its own re-ordering of io operations, the OS has an incomplete picture of the true drive geometry.  The raid card is emulating one disk geometry which could be an array of 2 - 100+ disks.  The OS simply can not make good judgment calls on how best to schedule io to different parts of the disk because its built around the assumption of a single spinning disk.  This is also true for if a write has made it safely non persistent cache (ie disk cache),  to a persistent cache (ie the battery in your raid card) or persistent storage (that array of disks) .     This is a failure of the Raid card <-> OS interface.  There simply is not the richness to say (signal write is ok if on platter or persistent cache not okay in disk cache) or

Enabling barriers effectively turns all writes into Write-Through operations, so the write goes straight to the disk platter and you get little performance benefit from the raid card (which hurts a lot in terms of lost iops).   If the BBU looses charge/fails  then the raid controller downgrades to Write-Through (vs Write-Backed) operation.

BBU  raid controllers disable disk caches, as these are not safe in event of power loss, and do not provide any benefit over the raid card cache.

In the context of swift, hdfs and other highly replicated datastores, I run them in jbod or raid-0 + nobarrier , noatime, nodiratime with a filesystem aligned to the geometry of underlying storage*  etc to squeeze as much performance as possible out of the raw storage.  Let the application layer deal with redundancy of data across the network, if a machine /disk dies ... so what, you have N other copies of that data elsewhere on the network.  A bit of storage is lost ... do consider how many nodes can be down at any time when operating these sorts of clusters Big boxen with lots of storage may seem attractive from a density perspective until you loose one and 25% of your storage capacity with it ... many smaller baskets ...

For network level data consistency  swift should have a  data scrubber (periodic process to read and compare checksums of replicated blocks), I have not checked if this is implemented or on the roadmap.   I would be very surprised if this was not a part of swift.

*you can hint to the fs layer how to offset block writes by specifying a stride width which is the number of data carrying disks in the array and the block size typically the default is 64k for raid arrays