[Openstack-operators] vlan-enabled network

Myungjin Lee myungjin.lee at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 22:03:34 UTC 2011

Hello,

I try to run nova a vlan-enabled network.

Basic setting is that a machine has two interfaces.
One is connected to public network and the other is used internally with
vlan-enabled setting.

Basically I want to communicate VMs via vlan-enabled interface.

The following show /etc/network/interfaces
-------------------
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto br100
iface br100 inet static
        bridge_ports eth1.416
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_maxwait 0
        bridge_fd 0
        address 192.168.32.184
        netmask 255.255.248.0
        broadcast 192.168.39.255
-------------------
eth1.416 is vlan-interface.

nova.conf looks as follows.

-------
--dhcpbridge_flagfile=/etc/nova/nova.conf
--dhcpbridge=/usr/bin/nova-dhcpbridge
--logdir=/var/log/nova
--state_path=/var/lib/nova
--lock_path=/var/lock/nova
--verbose
--s3_host=x.y.32.184
--rabbit_host=x.y.32.184
--cc_host=x.y.32.184
--ec2_host= x.y.32.184
--ec2_url=http://x.y.32.184:8773/services/Cloud
--fixed_range=10.10.0.0/16
--network_size=65536
--FAKE_subdomain=ec2
--routing_source_ip=x.y.32.184
--verbose
--sql_connection=mysql://root:nova@x.y.32.184/nova
--network_manager=nova.network.manager.FlatDHCPManager
--flat_interface=eth1.416
--public_interface=eth0

-------

# brctl show
br100           8000.00237d963199       no              eth1.416
virbr0          8000.000000000000       yes
------

Since VMs are running on the bridge interface (br100) and vlan-tagging will
be taken care of by eth1.416, should communication between VMs in different
hosts work fine?

If this is not right configuration, do I have to configure VlanManager mode?

Thanks,
-Myungjin Lee