[Openstack-operators] some questions about openstack

Jeff Kramer jeffkramer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 18:04:09 UTC 2011

Kelly,

That's generally correct, though more correct for Swift, OpenStack
Storage than Nova, OpenStack Compute.  Nova doesn't auto-migrate
instances between machines or self-heal unless you add some additional
software (network storage for images) or configurations.  Swift will
deal with the loss of a drive from the storage service by re-balancing
the data to another drive.

Nova will attempt to spread the VMs between servers as they're
created, so if you lose one as long as your application doesn't have a
single point of failure (and handles backups/restores sanely), it'll
keep going.  If you ran something like scalr, you could have Nova VM's
auto-restart if they go down or become unavailable.

http://scalr.net/