[OpenStack-Infra] Can we use short domain names for build log servers?

Sorin Sbarnea ssbarnea at redhat.com
Tue Jun 2 09:08:49 UTC 2020

I would like to re-raise an older question: what can we do to avoid using human-unfriendly URLs for our build logs?

The current setup lead us to some URLs that seems more like a way to test client limitations.

I know that we use object storage from various providers but that should not be an excuse for having more human urls, maybe even using our own domains.
Using a CDN does not require ugly logs urls, that is for sure.

One random example (not even the worst):
https://27171abe9707251ada06-40d76dc3f646b86e4453b642950e6efd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/729996/2/check/tox-py35/2c5d394/

Only the domain is >70 chars long, why not having something like logN.opendev.org instead?

Current URLs are backend urls, something that was not designed to be facing the consumer.

How does someone have to guess that this url is linked to openstack of opendev in any way? They would have to trust me that it does not include a magic blob that would highjack their browser. It is not uncommon for me to raise bugs to other opensource projects that never heard of zuul. Maybe if we start serving our logs in more friendly way, we can also market Zuul CI/CD better.

Why it matters:

- I often browse various log files, even on a hires desktop monitor I am unable to read the filename of the log because the window barely fits the domain name alone. Not even the changeset seems to fit the visible part of the url
- we need to share links to logs, long ones are impose additional problems, including splitting on irc.
- smaller screens

I will end with one of my favourite quotes:

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Lets take out a bit of this URL complexity.

Thanks
Sorin