[OpenStack-Infra] Question regarding access to OpenDev

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Jan 25 15:46:50 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-23 23:10:06 +0000 (+0000), Tommy Chaoping Li wrote:
> We are from IBM and we contributed to several open source projects
> such as KubeFlow. We found out that the OpenStack team had
> developed a great dashboard for capturing the GitHub metrics for
> various Open Source projects. We found it very helpful and we want
> to propose a few changes on the list of projects on stackalytics;
> however, we weren't able to fork or create new propose changes to
> the stackalytics project at https://opendev.org/x/stackalytics. Do
> we have to apply for certain permission in order to create an
> account on OpenDev? Thank you very much in advance.

[Apologies for the direct Cc... I approved this message out of the
moderation queue because you weren't a subscriber to the mailing
list, and therefore suspect you may not see any replies which are
only on-list; if you choose not to subscribe, please at least
continue to include the mailing list's address in your replies so
others have a chance to see them as well.]

OpenDev's code contribution workflow can be found in the OpenStack
Infrastructure Developer's Guide here (this probably merits adding
to our FAQ on the main page for the opendev.org site):

As evidenced by the name of the mailing list on which we're
communicating and the domain name where that document is hosted,
OpenDev is still in the midst of an identity shift. Some of the
information you'll find in that guide is likely to be
OpenStack-specific and less applicable to projects which aren't in
the "openstack" Git namespace, but the lines are a bit blurry at
times (for example, it looks like the x/stackalytics project is set
to require contributors to agree to the OSF ICLA before they'll be
able to push patches). Regardless, the basic workflow documented
there using the `git-review` tool to push proposed patches to Gerrit
is correct for all Git repositories hosted in OpenDev.

The x/stackalytics maintainers would probably benefit from
incorporating a standard CONTRIBUTING.rst document in the root of
their Git tree. There's a template for a very basic one OpenStack
uses here if you wanted to propose one for them to review along with
the other changes you're considering, though it warrants further
editing to make it less OpenStack-specific:

As always, let us know if you have questions or encounter any
roadblocks and we're happy to try to help either here on this
mailing list or in the #openstack-infra channel on the Freenode IRC
network.