[OpenStack-Infra] docs.airshipit.org setup

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Feb 7 18:47:57 UTC 2020

[I'm leaving the Cc list intact because I'm not sure which of you
are subscribed to this mailing list; my apologies for any duplicate
copies you may receive.]

On 2020-02-05 15:10:27 +0000 (+0000), SCHIEFELBEIN, ANDREW wrote:
[...]
> We would like to get the docs.airshipit.org vhost setup so that we
> can start to propagate docs out to this vanity url.  Is this
> something that someone can assist with?
[...]

We're in a bit of a transitional phase at the moment to a new and
much improved publication workflow, so I took the liberty of trying
to do this myself in order to make sure I understand it thoroughly
rather than possibly giving you bad/incomplete advice. The rough
steps are as follows (reviewers will hopefully tell me where I've
gotten it wrong):

0. Create a new volume in AFS to hold your content (done).

1. Add a job to our trusted Zuul config to push your content into
this new AFS volume; it has to be in the trusted config repo because
it gets access to a shared Kerberos principal. This is change
https://review.opendev.org/706598 .

2. Run the new publication job along with corresponding build jobs
in relevant pipelines from your airship/treasuremap repository's
Zuul configuration. The different docs build job is necessary as it
creates a content tarball artifact which is then passed directly to
the publication job in the promote pipeline rather than rerunning
the same build again after merge. This is change
https://review.opendev.org/706598 .

3. Add CNAME RRs in the airshipit.org DNS zone for the server which
will eventually serve your content and also for our automation
around Let's Encrypt domain validation (done).

4. Set up SSL cert management for the new site. This is change
https://review.opendev.org/706600 (it can merge in parallel with
steps 1-3 as it's independent of them).

5. Add an Apache vhost configuration on the server which will act as
a front-end for your content. This is change
https://review.opendev.org/706601 .

6. Enjoy an efficient, automated publication workflow to your own
custom documentation site.