[OpenStack-Infra] Retiring our puppet modules

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Apr 20 17:40:41 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

For a while now we've been slowly moving towards a system that is deployed with less puppet and more ansible+docker. One of the side effects of that is we are no longer effectively maintaining our puppet modules. To make this more clear to people that may be using them, I am writing this email and we are also removing testing from repos that we no longer consume so that they can be formally retired. The first step is job removal which is beginning to happen in this change, https://review.opendev.org/#/c/720900/.

The retirement process basically has us update the repo with a commit that removes content and replaces it with a README indicating the repo is retired. This means the process is reversible, the retirement commit can be reverted if necessary. If you are consuming these repos the first step you should take is to checkout the current HEAD commits before any retirement commits land. Then if you intend to keep maintaining the repos let us know and we can probably help you set up forks of some sort to do that.

Hopefully, this isn't a surprise as we've been headed in this direction for a while. I wanted to make sure this got communicated directly before we start making downstream visible changes though.

Clark