[OpenStack-Infra] OpenStack CI environment issues

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Thu Oct 17 18:58:20 UTC 2019

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019, at 8:02 PM, Ling LL Chen wrote:
> Hi Dear,
>
> This is Linda from IBM Storage cinder team and we need to set-up the
> OpenStack CI environment with puppet-master/jenkins/nodepool/zuul.
>
> But we hit lots of errors during the installation which followed by the
> guide "https://docs.openstack.org/infra/openstackci/third_party_ci.html
> <https://docs.openstack.org/infra/openstackci/third_party_ci.html#setup-jenkins>". This guide is too old which used the ubuntu 14.04, while our operation system is ubuntu 18.04.

These guides have historically been maintained by people like you running Third Party CI systems. Unfortunately, in recent years I don't think that any has been working to keep them up to date.

The Infra team did write a spec to provide guidance to anyone willing to help produce update documentation, https://specs.openstack.org/openstack-infra/infra-specs/specs/zuulv3-3rd-party-ci.html This isn't a guide itself though and instead documentation of what we think is needed to help guide volunteers on producing the documentation.

It would be excellent if the projects requiring third party CI helped to drive this work.

> And here is my questions:
> 1. Do you have any new updated guide or documents of how to set-up
> OpenStack CI environment on ubuntu 18.04 or ubuntu 16.04?

We don't have guides specific to third party CI but Zuul does have documentation for setting up a Zuul v3 CI system:

https://zuul-ci.org/docs/zuul/admin/quick-start.html
https://zuul-ci.org/docs/zuul/admin/zuul-from-scratch.html

> 2. Do you have the manually step by step guide to install OpenStack CI
> environment?
>
> 3. Even we changed the OS to ubuntu 16.04, we still hit the errors as below:
>
> Error:
> /Stage[main]/Jenkins::Job_builder/File[/etc/jenkins_jobs/config]: Could
> not evaluate: Could not retrieve information from environment
> production source(s) file:/etc/project-config/jenkins/jobs
>
> Error: /Stage[main]/Nodepool/File[/etc/nodepool/elements]: Could not
> evaluate: Could not retrieve information from environment production
> source(s) file:/etc/project-config/nodepool/elements
>
> Error: /Stage[main]/Nodepool/File[/etc/nodepool/scripts]: Could not
> evaluate: Could not retrieve information from environment production
> source(s) file:/etc/project-config/nodepool/scripts
>
> Error:
> /Stage[main]/Openstackci::Nodepool/File[/etc/nodepool/nodepool.yaml]:
> Could not evaluate: Could not retrieve information from environment
> production source(s) file:/etc/project-config/nodepool/nodepool.yaml
> Warning: /Stage[main]/Jenkins::Job_builder/Exec[jenkins_jobs_update]:
> Skipping because of failed dependencies
> Error: /Stage[main]/Zuul::Server/File[/etc/zuul/layout]: Could not
> evaluate: Could not retrieve information from environment production
> source(s) file:/etc/project-config/zuul
>
> Regards,
>
> Chen Ling(Linda,陈玲)

I think the ideal here would be for someone (or some group) to work through setting up a Zuulv3 using Zuul's documentation and the infra spec as guidance then use that to produce an up to date guide on setting up third party CI systems.

Clark