[OpenStack-Infra] Checking release approvals automatically

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Nov 14 16:54:45 UTC 2019

Hi infra-folk,

During the PTG in Shanghai the Release Management team discussed solving
one of the remaining pain points in reviewing release requests: checking
that the PTL or designated liaisons have actually +1 the request, before
casting our own +2 vote.

Since they change every 6 months, it's hard to remember names for the
60+ teams we have, so this manual check currently involves each of us
diving into test logs, scrolling down to the place where PTLs and
liaisons are listed, and then comparing them with current approvals in
Gerrit. What if... we could automate that ?

My proposed solution for this would be to create a specific pipeline
that would trigger on specific comments (including "CodeReview"), and
vote Label-PTL-approved on success. Then create a job that would run for
openstack/releases changes altering deliverables/** files, and check the
current change approvals against the list of PTLs and release liaisons.

The job should be lightweight enough to run on the executor. With all
those safeguards in place, I do not expect it to trigger significant
additional load.

Let me know if the idea generally sounds good or bad, or if you see
simpler ways to achieve a similar results.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)