[OpenStack-Infra] Feedback on git/repos on opendev.org

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue May 14 18:33:20 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 14, 2019, at 11:18 AM, Whaley, Graham wrote:
> Hi,
>  (please reply-all if you want me to see it - I am not subscribed to this list)
>
>  I was heading to read the code for the kata zuul tenant, and had some
> niggles when trying to locate/navigate. I thought I'd at least drop the
> feedback here (thanks ttx). Some of it will be specific to my 'flow'....
>
> Sooo, as I don't store the path to the repos in my head, I normally
> start out by going to git.openstack.org:
> That used to get me to (iirc) the top level cgit type interface, where
> I could then navigate down to the kata repos. It now takes me to the
> top level of opendev.org, but not to the git area, and it is not
> immediately obvious to me where the git area is.

The old hosting system was cgit and we've moved to gitea as it renders code more nicely (for example can link to sections of code) and renders markdown and rst nicely. One thing we can probably do is redirect top level https://git.foo.org/ urls to https://opendev.org/explore so that you don't have to discover that tab yourself.

> I found the git area under 'Explore' :-). The 'search' is a bit odd. It
> took me a moment to work out that it is alphabetical, if you ignore all
> the subdir prefix's (project names?). I'm not sure that is the most
> useful sort order tbh? Confused me for some time.
> And then, if you search for 'kata' in the default search box, you get
> **no matching repos**. Which, also, is not quite what I'd expect.

Note that you can select among a number of sort orders.

> Eventually I found the kata repos by sorting reverse-alphabetically and
> scrolling down :-) I know, the search is on 'repos', and not
> 'organisations' - but, if you just land on that page and search for
> something that happens to only have its name active at the project
> level (like kata), then you end up with no results. Maybe the
> search/results can be smarter, and provide the list of what it was
> searching for first (so in this case 'no repositories found'), and then
> some 'suggestions', like 'you may have been looking for organisation:
> kata'. Just thinking out loud.

Yup, I think gitea expects users to select the organizations tab and search on that if they are looking for an org and not a repo. However, I agree that the distinction is often confusing as a repo is fully qualified by both organization and repo name. I think this feedback is worth taking to gitea. We'll be happy to do that for you unless you would like to report it upstream. Let us know.

(I think https://github.com/go-gitea/gitea/issues is the best venue for that)