[OpenStack-Infra] Control Plane Server Upgrade Sprint Planning

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Oct 15 17:43:59 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018, at 4:09 PM, Clark Boylan wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We still have a few Trusty servers hanging around. We should work to
> upgrade them either to Xenial (using puppet deployment) or Bionic (using
> ansible and containers?). We've made good progress in the past using a
> sprint type setup where the majority of us are focused on making
> progress on this sort of work. Can we plan another sprint to complete
> this task?
>
> Looking at a calendar I think many of us are still recovering from PTG
> travel this week, week after next is Ansiblefest, then I have a local
> Portland conference the week after that. Long story short October 15-19
> may be our best week for this. Does that week work? Any other
> suggestions?
>
> I think we can (and should) work on this outside of the sprint as well
> and I will be trying to upgrade the etherpad servers in the near future.
> Let me know if you are working on upgrading any servers/services and I
> will do what I can to help review changes and make that happen as well.

I've started on this and all the changes to get etherpad servers running on xenial appear to be in place. Hieradata/ansible group vars have been updated and a new etherpad-dev01.openstack.org has been created.

In the process of doing this I discovered that ansible and puppet were recently (like in the last 8 hours) no longer running. The root cause seems to be citycloud has removed the Lon1 region which broken inventory generation. I've pushed https://review.openstack.org/#/c/610668/ to fix that and will work on getting ansible and puppet running again so that I can finish up with etherpad-dev.openstack.org upgrades.

If you'd like to help out please grab a server or three at https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/201808-infra-server-upgrades-and-cleanup and we'll work through the list together.

Thank you,
Clark