[OpenStack-Infra] Public numbers about the scale of the infrastructure/CI ?

David Moreau Simard dmsimard at redhat.com
Mon Mar 26 16:03:31 UTC 2018

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 10:20 AM, James E. Blair <corvus at inaugust.com> wrote:
>> - # of jobs and Ansible playbooks per month ran by Zuul
>
> I'm curious about this one -- how were you planning on defining these
> values and obtaining them?

I've needed to pull statistics out of Zuul in the past for RDO (i.e,
justifying budget for CI resources)
and I use the sql reporter data to do it.
It looks like this:

$range = "'2018-02-01 00:00:00' AND '2018-02-28 23:59:59'"
SELECT job_name,
       result,
       start_time,
       end_time,
       TIMEDIFF(end_time, start_time) as duration
FROM zuul_build
WHERE
    start_time BETWEEN $range

This gets me the amount of monthly *jobs* and I can extrapolate (over
N playbooks..)
by estimating a number knowing that:
- base and post playbooks are fairly consistently X playbooks
- there is at least one "run" playbook

So pretending that 1000 jobs ran, I can say something like:
1000 jobs and over [1000 * (X+1)] playbooks

It's not a perfect number but we know we run more playbooks than that.

What I have also been thinking about is, if I want to get a more
accurate number, I could do a sum of all the executor playbook results
(which are in graphite) but the history for those don't go too far
back.
Ex: stats.zuul.executor.ze*_openstack_org.phase.*.*

David Moreau Simard
Senior Software Engineer | OpenStack RDO

dmsimard = [irc, github, twitter]