[OpenStack-Infra] Reworking zuul base jobs

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 15:22:13 UTC 2018

Greetings,

A few weeks ago, I sent an email to the zuul-discuss[1] ML talking about the
idea of splitting a base job in project-config into trusted / untrusted parts.
Since then we've actually implemented the idea in rdoproject.org zuul and seems
to be working very well.

Basically, I'd like to do the same here with our base job but first wanted to
give a heads up.  Here is the basic idea:

  project-config (trusted)
  - job:
      name: base-minimal
      parent: null

  - job:
      name: base-minimal-test
      parent: null

  openstack-zuul-jobs (untrusted)
  - job:
      name: base
      parent: base-minimal

This then allows us to start moving tasks / roles like configure-mirrors from
trusted into untrusted, since it doesn't really need trusted context on the
executor.

In rdoproject, our base-minimal job is much smaller then openstack-infra today,
but really has just become used for handling secrets (post-run playbooks) and
zuul_stream (pre). Everything else has been moved into untrusted.

Here, we likely need to have a little more discussion around what we move into
untrusted from trusted, but once we've done the dance to place base into
openstack-zuul-jobs and parent to base-minimal in project-config, we can start
testing.

We'd still need to do the base-minimal / base-minimal-test dance for trusted
context, but it should be much smaller the things we need to test. As a working
example, the recent changes to pypi mirrors I believe would have been much
easier to test in this setup.

- Paul

[1] http://lists.zuul-ci.org/pipermail/zuul-discuss/2018-July/000508.html