[OpenStack-Infra] ze04 & #532575

David Shrewsbury shrewsbury.dave at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 12:58:11 UTC 2018

This is probably mostly my fault since I did not WIP or -2 my change in
532575 to keep it
from getting merged without some infra coordination.

Because of that change, it is also required that we change the user
zuul-executor starts
as from root to zuul [1], and that we also open up the new default finger
port on the
executors [2]. Once those are in place, we should be ok to restart the
executors.

As for ze04, since that one restarted as the 'root' user, and never dropped
privileges
to the 'zuul' user due to 532575, I'm not sure what state it is going to be
in after applying
[1] and [2]. Would it create files/directories as root that would now be
inaccessible if it
were to restart with the zuul user? Think logs, work dirs, etc...

-Dave

[1] https://review.openstack.org/532594
[2] https://review.openstack.org/532709

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 11:53 PM, Ian Wienand <iwienand at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To avoid you having to pull apart the logs starting ~ [1], we
> determined that ze04.o.o was externally rebooted at 01:00UTC (there is
> a rather weird support ticket which you can look at, which is assigned
> to a rackspace employee but in our queue, saying the host became
> unresponsive).
>
> Unfortunately that left a bunch of jobs orphaned and necessitated a
> restart of zuul.
>
> However, recent changes to not run the executor as root [2] were thus
> partially rolled out on ze04 as it came up after reboot.  As a
> consequence when the host came back up the executor was running as
> root with an invalid finger server.
>
> The executor on ze04 has been stopped, and the host placed in the
> emergency file to avoid it coming back.  There are now some in-flight
> patches to complete this transition, which will need to be staged a
> bit more manually.
>
> The other executors have been left as is, based on the KISS theory
> they shouldn't restart and pick up the code until this has been dealt
> with.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -i
>

> [1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-
> infra/%23openstack-infra.2018-01-11.log.html#t2018-01-11T01:09:20

David Shrewsbury (Shrews)