[OpenStack-Infra] Adding ARM64 cloud to infra

Gema Gomez gema.gomez-solano at linaro.org
Wed Jan 10 09:41:57 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Linaro would like to add a new cloud to infra so that we can run tests
on ARM64 going forward. This discussion has been ongoing for the good
part of a year, apologies that it took us so long to get to a point
where we feel comfortable going ahead in terms of stability of
infrastructure and functionality.

My team has been taking care of making OpenStack as multiarch as
possible and making the experience of using an ARM64 cloud as close to
using a traditional amd64 one as possible. We have the Linaro Developer
Cloud program, which consists of a set of clouds that run on ARM64
hardware donated by the Linaro Enterprise Group members[1] and dedicated
to enablement/testing of upstream projects. Until recently our clouds
were run by an engineering team and were used to do enablement of
different projects and bug fixes of OpenStack, now we have a dedicated
admin and we are ready to take it a step forward. The clouds are
currently running OpenStack Newton but we are going to be moving to
Queens as soon as the release is out. Kolla has volunteered to be the
first project for this experiment, they have been pushing us to start
doing CI on our images so they also feel more comfortable accepting our
changes. We will welcome any other project that wants to be part of this
experiment, but we'll focus our engineering efforts initially on
enabling Kolla CI.

After some preliminary discussion with fungi and inc0, we are going to
start small and grow from there. The initial plan is to add 2 projects:

1. Control-plane project that will host a nodepool builder with 8 vCPUs,
8 GB RAM, 1TB storage on a Cinder volume for the image building scratch
space. A cache server with similar specs + 200GB on a cinder volume for
AFS and Apache proxy caches. They will have a routable IP address.

2. Jobs project, we'll have capacity for 6 test instances initially and
after initial assessment grow it as required (8 vCPUs/8 GB RAM, 80GB
storage, 1 routable IP each).

Is there anything else we are missing for the initial trial? Any
questions/concerns before we start? I will try to have presence on the
infra weekly calls/IRC channel or have someone from my team on them
going forward.

In practical terms, once we've created the resources, is there a guide
to getting the infra bits in place for it? Who to give the credentials
to/etc?

Thanks!
Gema

[1] https://www.linaro.org/groups/leg/