[OpenStack-Infra] Hosting OpenStack Summit (among other) videos

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Dec 5 19:02:13 UTC 2018

On 2018-12-05 19:40:16 +0100 (+0100), François Magimel wrote:
> My name is François and I would like to suggest a new service for
> the OpenStack Foundation: video hosting. Today, video are hosted
> in Youtube. But as OpenStack promotes free and open source
> softwares, I would like to help installing an alternative for the
> Foundation: Peertube [1], a decentralized video hosting network
> based on libre software :).
[...]

Thanks! I find the idea compelling of course because it's free/libre
open source software (unlike YouTube), but also because it turns out
many of our contributors in mainland China are blocked from
accessing YouTube and need us to host these videos somewhere else
anyway. I'm curious, since PeerTube basically relies on an
in-browser bittorrent client, whether bittorrent protocol works
through the government-imposed Internet filters in China and would
provide a good solution to that problem.

> - what is the licence of summit videos ?

Allison Price on the OSF staff confirmed for me that all the
official OpenStack Summit session recordings are supposed to be
distributed under CC-BY (unfortunately they're inconsistently
labeled in YouTube descriptions where some indicate a License of
"Creative Commons Attribution license (reuse allowed)" and others
don't currently mention any license). I think this means we should
have no legal problem at least serving copies of them.

> - does the Foundation have some resources to host videos ?
[...]

It wouldn't be the OpenStack Foundation, but rather the community
project infrastructure, which would need to obtain those resources.
(If you're unfamiliar with the OpenStack Infrastructure project, in
the process of switching to the name OpenDev,
https://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/project.html provides
an overview of who we are and how we collaborate.) We have a fair
amount of "cloud" resources provided to us by many generous donor
organizations, so ought to be able to come up with sufficient space
to house these files and cover the bandwidth of serving them if we
decide that's something we want to do.