[OpenStack-Infra] Selecting New Priority Effort(s)

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Mon Apr 9 11:04:21 UTC 2018

On 04/06/2018 11:37 PM, Jens Harbott wrote:
> I didn't intend to say that this was easier. My comment was related
> to the efforts in https://review.openstack.org/558991 , which could
> be avoided if we decided to deploy askbot on Xenial with
> Ansible. The amount of work needed to perform the latter task would
> not change, but we could skip the intermediate step, assuming that
> we would start implementing 1) now instead of deciding to do it at a
> later stage.

I disagree with this; having found a myriad of issues it's *still*
simpler that re-writing the whole thing IMO.

It doesn't matter, ansible, puppet, chef, bash scripts -- the
underlying problem is that we choose support libraries for postgres,
solr, celery, askbot, logs etc etc, get it to deploy, then forget
about it until the next LTS release 2 years later.  Of course the
whole world has moved on, but we're pinned to old versions of
everything and never tested on new platforms.

What *would* have helped is a rspec test that even just simply applies
the manifest on new platforms.  We have great infrastructure for these
tests; but most of our modules don't actually *run* anything (e.g.,
here's ethercalc and etherpad-lite issues too [1,2]).

These make it so much easier to collaborate; we can all see the result
of changes, link to logs, get input on what's going wrong, etc etc.

-i

[1] https://review.openstack.org/527822
[2] https://review.openstack.org/528130