[OpenStack-Infra] Selecting New Priority Effort(s)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Apr 5 14:57:07 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-05 14:35:27 +0000 (+0000), Jens Harbott wrote:
> > It won't be very exciting but we really need to do one of the
> > following two things soon:
> >
> > 1) Ansiblify control plane [1]
> > 2) Update our puppet things to puppet 4 (or 5?)
> >
> > Puppet 3 has been end of life since Dec 31, 2016. [2]
> >
> > The longer we draw this out, the more work it'll be :(
> >
> > [1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469983/
> > [2]: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/puppet-users/IdutL5FTW7w
>
> I agree and would vote for option 1), that would also seem to blend
> well with upgrading to Xenial. Avoid having to invest much effort in
> making puppet things work for Xenial, like we just discovered would be
> needed for askbot.

It's not immediately clear to me how rewriting numerous Puppet
modules in Ansible avoids having to invest much effort... or is it
the case that a lot of the things we're installing now have
corresponding Ansible modules already? Has anyone skimmed through
https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/system-config/tree/modules.env
and figured out how many of those seem supported by the existing
Ansible ecosystem vs how many we'd have to create ourselves?