[OpenStack-Infra] Problems setting up my own OpenStack Infrastructure

Bernd Bausch berndbausch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 05:45:30 UTC 2018

Lenny,

thanks, these instructions are a bit more robust and easier to
understand than [2].

One details stands out for me: They make it clear that Ubuntu 14 is
required. A few Puppet modules, in particular Etherpad used as an
example in [2], assume Upstart. I don't know if Upstart is available in
Xenialor recent non-Ubuntu distros, but it's definitely not there by
default.

I did find a few places that could be improved or may even be incorrect.
How can I formally submit suggestions and bugs in the OpenStack-Infra
documentation?

Here they are:

- First, install_puppet.sh is downloaded and executed, then
system-config is cloned.
  Since system-config contains install_puppet.sh, it would be more
efficient to clone, then
  install Puppet.

- Configuration of /etc/puppet/environments/common.yaml is not quite
trivial. Perhaps a few
  examples would help people like me.

- The instructions first install the log server, then the CI server. The
log server is tested
  by uploading a file to Jenkins, which runs on the CI server and is not
yet available at that
  point.

- The Jenkins installation fails since a prerequisite can't be found:

    jenkins : Depends: default-jre-headless (>= 2:1.8) but it is not
going to be installed or
              java8-runtime-headless but it is not installable

- I was unable to start nodepool-builder with "service nodepool-builder
start".
  First, nodepool-builder aborted since it is configured to log to a
file under
  /var/log/nodepool/images/, which doesn't exist.
  After fixing this manually, the service command is successful, but no
  nodepool-builder process is running. I didn't find out why and just
started
  the daemon manually.

- Attempting an image build fails with a stacktrace containing:

    diskimage_builder.element_dependencies.MissingElementException:
    Element 'openstack-repos' not found

This is how far I got for the moment.

Bernd