[OpenStack-Infra] Zuul feature/zuulv3 branch to be rewound

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Thu Sep 21 17:38:10 UTC 2017

Hi,

A change recently landed on the feature/zuulv3 branch of Zuul with a
Sem-Ver commit message footer.  This is used by PBR to alter the way it
constructs version numbers.  It's pretty nifty, but in my opinion, it
has a fundamental flaw: it can't be undone.

I think use of this by a project should be very carefully considered,
and that hasn't happened in the case of Zuul.  Meanwhile, I think that
during a development phase, in order to feel comfortable merging any
change, we need to know that we can revert it if we make a mistake.
That isn't possible with Sem-Ver footers -- they will always be parsed
by PBR once they exist in the commit history.

To correct this situation, the commit with the Sem-Ver footer needs to
be removed from the branch.  To accomplish this, I will do the following
within the next hour or so:

1) Abandon all open changes on feature/zuulv3.
2) Delete the feature/zuulv3 branch.
3) Re-create the feature/zuulv3 branch at the commit before the Sem-Ver
   change: 027ba992595d23e920a9cf84f67c87959a4b2a13.
4) Restore all the changes abandoned in step 1.

The abandon/restore steps are required by Gerrit in order to delete the
branch.  We could force-push the branch tip, but this is the procedure
we have asked and would ask any other project to use in a similar
situation, in order to reduce the risk of error.

After this is complete, if you have updated your copy of the
feature/zuulv3 branch within the past day, you will probably not be able
to fast-forward any more.  You will need to run "git reset --hard
origin/feature/zuulv3" on your local feature/zuulv3 branch to correct
the situation.  Anyone deploying continuously from the branch tip may
need to perform similar repairs.

-Jim