[OpenStack-Infra] Merging Zuul v3 into master

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Mon Nov 27 23:31:41 UTC 2017

Hi,

A while back we created a feature branch in git for Zuul and Nodepool v3
(feature/zuulv3).  Now that OpenStack-Infra is running it, and all of
our development focus is on it, we are unlikely to merge any more
changes to Zuul v2 or issue another Zuul v2 release.  In fact, we are
approaching the point where we can make our initial Zuul and Nodepool
v3.0 releases.

We would like to go ahead and merge feature/zuulv3 into master.  That
will effectively mean the current contents of the feature/zuulv3 branch
will appear in master.

There is no automatic upgrade path, and backwards compatibility is not
supported, so folks running CD from master should take steps to ensure
their installations are not affected.

In particular, we need to sort out a migration strategy for
puppet-openstackci.  We probably need to add a switch to that module
that will install the latest release of Zuul v2 from a tag if Zuul v2 is
selected, and otherwise install Zuul v3 from master if not.

Here are actions you can take:

* If you continuously deploy Zuul from master via some method other than
  puppet-openstackci, please take action soon to mitigate this change,
  and install from the latest release until you are ready to upgrade to
  Zuul v3.

* If you are able to contribute to making the necessary changes to
  puppet-openstackci, please reply here to volunteer to do so.

* If you think of other impacts to this change that we should mitigate,
  please let us know.

* If you have outstanding changes proposed to Zuul or Nodepool master
  branches, please take a moment and determine whether they are still
  relevant in Zuul v3.

* The same applies to stories in Storyboard as well.

We will send another announcement once we have scheduled the actual
merge.

Thanks,

Jim