[OpenStack-Infra] RFC about creating a project for log-classify.crm

Shuquan Huang huang.shuquan at 99cloud.net
Thu Nov 23 10:04:40 UTC 2017

I think standard openstack python project is fine.  Before the project creation, anything I can help with now? (

On 22/11/2017, 4:30 PM, "Tristan Cacqueray" <openstack-infra-bounces at lists.openstack.org on behalf of tdecacqu at redhat.com> wrote:

    On November 21, 2017 5:48 pm, Clark Boylan wrote:
    > On Tue, Nov 21, 2017, at 09:17 AM, Tristan Cacqueray wrote:
    >>

    > snip
    >
    >> Actually the rfc is this thread :-)
    >>
    >> Though I forgot to mention the first steps that could use comments before
    >> we move on:
    >> * create the openstack-infra/log-classify project,
    >> * import the log-classify.crm script,
    >> * wrap the script with a more user friendly interface, and
    >> * modify the puppet-log_processor to use that new project instead
    >
    > This sounds like a great place to start. Considering the interest
    > already forming around this I would say go ahead and create the project
    > and start with the import process so that people have a concrete place
    > to start working on this. I am sure it will evolve from there, but
    > getting started is often the most difficult step.
    >
    > Related to the last step we have temporarily disabled CRM classification
    > in the log processor pipeline because we treat the whole file path as a
    > unique file to classify which ended up filling our workers' disks with
    > classification files. I think one of the things we will want to address
    > early on is using the basename rather than the whole path to
    > significantly reduce the total number of data files on disk. This way we
    > can get it running in the log processor pipeline again for proper
    > production feedback of changes that are happening.
    >
    > Once again let me know if I can help with anything (happy to review new
    > project creation changes for example).

    Excellent, project creation is proposed here:
      https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:log-classify

    I'm open to suggestion regarding the name and structure of the project.
    Otherwise I'll create a standard openstack python project with:

    logclassify.logstash module to interface with the script using the
    design of the log-gearman-client.py (e.g. a process(event)).
    logclassify.cmd module to use the script standalone.

    And then write a first test and implementation of that basename base data
    files improvement.

    If that works ok, then a follow-up change will modify the
    log-gearman-client to import logclassify instead of running the script
    directly.

    > Thank you for getting this started,
    > Clark

    Thanks for the quick feedback!