[OpenStack-Infra] static.o.o : skipping logs fsck at boot

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Fri Mar 31 09:37:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

Thanks to Yolanda for driving the logs.o.o recovery after some RAX
maintenance on the log volumes.

Just some thoughts -- firstly this host boots up into a graphical
console which gives pretty but not terribly informative logo screen
after you've pulled up the emergency console (at least it's not java
any more?).  I presume nobody would be unhappy if we fiddle the grub
defaults to make this boot in text mode.

What do we think about turning off boot fsck for the logs volume (and
others)?  I admit we rarely reboot this, but when we do, it doesn't
seem strictly necessary to hold up boot for the long check on this
large volume.  While main-static volume is fsck-ing, /srv/static/logs
is available from main-static and can buffer logs until its finished.
This is what we're doing right now, but I had to get into the
aforementioned console and convince it to continue booting.

-i