[OpenStack-Infra] Nodepool drivers

Tristan Cacqueray tdecacqu at redhat.com
Fri Jun 16 05:51:26 UTC 2017

On June 14, 2017 1:10 pm, James E. Blair wrote:
> Tristan Cacqueray <tdecacqu at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> With the nodepool-drivers[0] spec approved, I started to hack a quick
>> implementation[1]. Well I am not very familiar with the nodepool/zookeeper
>> architecture, thus this implementation may very well be missing important
>> bits... The primary goal is to be able to run ZuulV3 with static nodes,
>> comments and feedbacks are most welcome.
>
> I've taken a general look and I think this is heading in the right
> direction.  We should ask David Shrewsbury to look at it when he gets a
> chance, and Tobias as well when he's back.  Thanks!

Thanks! The first three changes mostly move code to the driver directory
without changing the logic which seems like a sane thing to do before
changing the interface. Since this is a pain to rebase, those should be the
priority:
* https://review.openstack.org/468748 : generic request handler
* https://review.openstack.org/468749 : generic provider manager
* https://review.openstack.org/468750 : move openstack bits to its own driver

A follow-up effort would be to also move openstack driver tests to their own
files and the provider configuration to the driver module.

>> Moreover, assuming this isn't too off-track, I'd like to propose an
>> OpenContainer and a libvirt driver to diversify Test environment.
>
> I think the most important thing is the static node driver -- that's
> part of the original scope for Zuul v3, and we need it for functional
> parity with v2.
>
> An OpenContainer driver sounds fine to me, but I'm reluctant to add a
> libvirt driver at the moment -- there is a lot of potential overlap with
> OpenStack, as well as other potential drivers such as linch-pin.  Maybe
> there are some compelling reasons to do so, but I'd rather defer that
> for a while until we establish some guidelines around in-tree drivers.
>
> Since it's a scope expansion, we should consider anything beyond the
> static driver to be a lower priority while we work to get Zuul v3
> finished.

Indeed, having static nodes is the primary goal, the extra drivers are
mainly to exercise the interface for now. It's fine if they are not
accepted in-tree, as long as we design a common interface.

Cheers,
-Tristan