[OpenStack-Infra] Zuul DependentPipeline conceptual questions

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Jan 27 16:17:18 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Oleksandr Karpenko's message of 2017-01-27 16:46:24 +0100:
> Hello together,
>
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Yes, we are interested in this feature and ready to contribute. But we
> will need a support from your side for clear understanding how to
> implement it.
>
> My vision is a following:
>
> Define a new configuration parameter for 'manager:
> DependentPipelineManager', e.g. 'manager-policy: aggregate-gerrit-topics'.
>
> When change set arrives DependentPipelineManager and topic is not empty,
> consult gerrit server whether other change sets effecting pipeline
> exists. And if it is a case, delay a pipeline until all change sets with
> the same topic are ready to be proceeded.

That could work, for sure. However, with Zuul growing the ability to
push to Gerrit directly soon, it's unnecessarily Gerrit-dependent. We can
simply make Zuul do this with its own dependency specification methods.
That way topics and coordinated landings can stay de-coupled from
one-another.