[OpenStack-Infra] [shade]

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Jan 2 16:41:05 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017, at 04:17 AM, Richard Cunningham wrote:
> Thanks for the help here.
>
> Actually, adding files via config-drive is exactly what I want but I
> can't
> see how to do that other than via the default 'user-data'. Cisco CSR1000v
> looks for a file called "ios-config" on the config-drive for example.
>
> Without this api i don't see how to add these files?

Reading http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/cli-config-drive.html I
think the current system exposes the files on config drive via the same
personalities API and Nova intends to move to that alone and stop doing
direct file injection? This means I no longer understand why shade has
deprecated this feature.

As for how to achieve this sort of thing without personalities and using
config drive you would add meta data or user data to the config drive
that would instruct some post boot process to take an action and write
out file contents. If you are using a prebaked image built by someone
else your options are a bit more limited here.

Monty in particular likely has much more insight into what is going on
here with shade and nova. Probably worth trying to get his feedback too.

Clark