[OpenStack-Infra] [shade]

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Jan 2 07:46:07 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016, at 02:54 AM, Richard Cunningham wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to use ansible os_server module (which uses shade) to start a
> new VM and copy files to the instance.  I can't find this option exposed
> in
> the ansible module and when I check the shade docs they suggest that this
> option is deprecated:
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/infra/shade/usage.html
>

>    - *files* – (optional, deprecated) A dict of files to overwrite on the
>    server upon boot. Keys are file names (i.e. /etc/passwd) and values
>    are
>    the file contents (either as a string or as a file-like object). A
>    maximum
>    of five entries is allowed, and each file must be 10k or less.
>

> Is there another newer way to achieve this?

After a little digging I have run into this message from the Nova PTL
[0]. The "files" feature is provided via "personalities" which are being
deprecated in the Nova API itself. The suggested alternative in that
thread is to use config drive. You may also need some sort of initial
boot configurator like cloud-init or glean to go along with the config
drive, but that should get you what you need.

[0]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2016-November/012134.html

Hope this helps,
Clark