[OpenStack-Infra] Plan for devstack Zuul v3 jobs

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Fri Aug 25 22:28:27 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 4:50 PM, James E. Blair <corvus at inaugust.com> wrote:
> We create a devstack-legacy job in Zuul v3 which attempts to run
> devstack-gate in the manner closest to that in which it runs today.
> This means that it will use the Zuul-provided git repos rather than
> performing its own git fetch operations, and supply config files and
> environment variables which are compatible with the way Zuul v2 works.
>
> Simultaneously, we also create a new devstack job which utilizes all the
> new features of Zuul v3 and is structured in the way we envisioned
> earlier.  We can start very simply here and avoid carrying all of the
> design baggage from the earlier job.  This will be a job that projects
> can build off of and migrate to over time, once we have completed the
> migration.

I'm OK with this.
Should we get to a point where the scripts can be used by both Zuul v2
and Zuul v3 simultaneously so that there is no "migration" or "cutover" so
to speak ?

It might mean some amount of work but it shouldn't be too bad, I think ?
Ansible (Zuul v3) will potentially end up running Ansible but we've seen
worse and it'll be temporary.

It would allow for a smooth transition because we would just essentially
stop running the v2 jobs when we are ready.

David Moreau Simard
Senior Software Engineer | OpenStack RDO

dmsimard = [irc, github, twitter]