[OpenStack-Infra] The future of our server naming patterns

Spencer Krum nibz at spencerkrum.com
Tue May 24 17:21:43 UTC 2016

> Though I've since been thinking (and a quick codesearch[*] confirms
> it) that we have a bunch of hostname==service/vhost assumptions
> baked into our configuration management right now. While I'm not
> opposed to the plan in principle, executing it implies a pretty
> significant cleanup effort to stop using things like $::fqdn all
> over the place. That isn't work that I _personally_ have bandwidth
> to tackle right now, and it's a potentially disruptive effort for
> each of the services whose modules/classes need this sort of
> refactoring.

At the summit Clark pointed out that many of our vhost templates could
be simplified to listen on *. I think this works for http, not sure
about https. I agree with the idea of getting a new host naming scheme,
but I also agree that there will need to be some minor refactoring done.
The problem, as you point out, is that we have $::fqdn sprinkled all
over, so it would be a lot of churn to fix things everywhere. I would
not support some kind of hack that overwrote fqdn.  I also don't think I
have the bandwidth to refactor all of puppet right now.

--
  Spencer Krum
  nibz at spencerkrum.com