[OpenStack-Infra] Gerrit question: Rebases

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue May 24 15:49:15 UTC 2016

On 05/24/2016 11:30 AM, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
> I've noticed that when a patch set is rebased, Gerrit is not sending me
> an email alerting me to that.  It does send out an email when a new
> patch set is uploaded, just not when one is rebased.  This is causing
> problems for me with the Global Requirements uploads, as they frequently
> get rebased, and since I'm not notified, I have to notice that the
> review hasn't merged yet and check up on it.
>
> Is there some setting I need to click to get Gerrit to send me
> notifications about rebases, or is this something systemic that needs to
> be reported upstream as a bug?

Hi Kevin:

It seems that gerrit once had this functionality and someone didn't like
it: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/repo-discuss/NSM5aio2oHs

The patch to disable notification emails on rebase was merged a year
ago: https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/53740/

I'm uncertain how to evaluate which release this patch is in but we did
upgrade to 2.11 late last November, so am going with this patch is in
our current production instance of gerrit.

Suggestions:
perhaps add to the mailing list thread on the topic that you would like
this feature to be accessible in a toggleable setting
work through the comments on the merged patch (I have not) and see if
there is any opposition to making it toggleable
submit a patch (Khai Do - zaro - is a good person to talk to here) to
make the feature toggleable

Thanks for your clear description of your experience, Kevin, I
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Anita.