[OpenStack-Infra] The future of our server naming patterns

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Mon May 23 21:00:40 UTC 2016

Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> writes:

> We do already have some servers with numbered suffixes but I don't
> think this plan changes how we deal with them. When creating a new
> server for a pool like that, just use the lowest available unused
> number. Here's a relevant historical example:

Yes, I think interpreting the meaning of a server name will require a
bit of context (jenkins01, git01, etc all currently imply that they are
part of a load-balanced set).  That will no longer be the case in the
future.  We won't be able to make any assumptions based on names either
way (git02 will still be unimportant enough that we can delete on a
whim, but etherpad01 will not be).  But aside from that, I believe that
logistically it will work, and it is simple.

> I've proposed a minimal update[2] to our server creation documentation
> indicating use of the new pattern everywhere. For some reason we've
> been numbering servers starting from 01 and not 00, so as much as
> I'm a fan of cardinal numbering I don't see any reason to switch now
> (that train has already sailed).

Well, actually, no reason our next servers can't be 00, right?  ;)

-Jim
(I like all of the colors of the shed.)