[OpenStack-Infra] An idea to help browse and troubleshoot Ansible Playbook runs

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Sat May 21 19:31:50 UTC 2016

Hi again openstack-infra,

We've worked quite a bit on ARA since I first told you guys about it here.
We're pretty much out of PoC and Alpha territory by now and I've made
a formal public announcement about it [1].

Following up on the questions from the thread now that we've progressed a bit:
- Usability with things like ElasticSearch:
  The ARA CLI client uses Cliff and thus has a very similar look and
feel as python-openstackclient.
  Cliff provides several output formats out of the box such as YAML or JSON.
  You could use the client to output the information you want in JSON
format and then send that off to ElasticSearch with already-indexed
fields.

- Static file generation
  This is very high on the list of things to do.
  We will make it possible for the ARA CLI client to generate a static
version of the interface for a single playbook run.
  So far we're aiming more towards a html "tree" rather than just a
single page to keep the same browsing experience.

I see a great opportunity for ARA to be used by the OpenStack community.
The project officially needs a home for code reviews and I think
openstack or openstack-infra with the usual gerrit workflow would be a
great fit if you believe it makes sense.

What do you think ?

Please let me know !

Thanks,

[1]: https://dmsimard.com/2016/05/21/ara-an-idea-to-store-browse-and-troubleshoot-ansible-playbook-runs/