[OpenStack-Infra] An idea to help browse and troubleshoot Ansible Playbook runs

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Wed May 11 01:24:20 UTC 2016

Hi openstack-infra,

I've been hacking on an idea since last friday and I was thinking it
could be of interest for you guys as Ansible users, but also
considering the next generation of Zuul jobs will be powered by
Ansible.

The project I'm working on is called ARA [1]. It is very much an alpha
at this point but it is hopefully fleshed out enough at this point for
you to see where I am going with this.
I could go on about what the project looks like but I've actually
built a sane amount of docs [2] and even put up a video of what the
interface looks like on YouTube [3].

ARA was born out of necessity because the vast majority of RDO CI [4]
is driven by Ansible, either through projects like TripleO-Quickstart
[5] or WeIRDO [6].

We are equipped in a fairly similar way than upstream, we have Jenkins
console logs that are large enough to crash your browser and logs that
are collected and made browsable like on logs.o.o.
In a nutshell, we're running CI jobs that install and test OpenStack
deployments through various installers: TripleO, Packstack,
Puppet-OpenStack, and soon: Kolla and Chef-OpenStack.

The sad reality is that the RDO community has limited resources and
ARA aims at making it easier and faster to see what failed, where and
why to make everyone more efficient.
Another sad truth is that I am much more a system administrator than a
developer and as such I am not exactly awesome in either Python or
UI/UX frontends.

As such, if you are interested in the project, I would certainly
welcome not only feedback but contributions if you feel you could use
this.

Let me know if you have any questions !

[1]: https://github.com/dmsimard/ara
[2]: http://ara.readthedocs.io/en/latest/