[OpenStack-Infra] Openstack Infra's puppet manifests and Puppet style guide.

Zara Zaimeche zara.zaimeche at codethink.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 10:25:10 UTC 2016

On 25/03/16 05:23, Elizabeth K. Joseph wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Paul Belanger <pabelanger at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I cannot thing of something, besides linting, to better understand our modules
>> and sub projects. And interested to here what others think.
>
> I'm certainly glad we have someone who is interested in helping out, I
> never meant to imply otherwise. Thanks for diving in Andrey :)
>
> My fear in a case like this with so many patches from a single new
> contributor, that it's turned less into a learning exercise and more
> into a lot of repetition. This quickly becomes much less valuable for
> getting familiar with things, I'm sure it's very boring, and it is
> filling up our review queue. I'm also conscious of the fact that not
> all reordering in Puppet has no impact on functionality, so it does
> take diligence on the part of the reviewer to make sure we don't break
> anything in the "harmless" effort to improve style.
>
> As for ideas for newcomers, back when we used Launchpad for bug and
> task tracking we had a low-hanging-fruit tag. This helped me get my
> first changes in that spanned across a broad number of areas of our
> infra. These were much more interesting than lint fixes! My hope was
> that we could somehow continue this in Storyboard. Perhaps even
> working to take some of the things that established contributors, by
> reflex, just fix immediately but don't strictly need immediate fixes
> and tag to give those tasks to newcomers to get their feet wet. I
> think a separate newcomer thread is in order.

Thanks for laying this out; this matches my view. This has also reminded
me that I missed something in the 'new things StoryBoard does' email:
Tags can be applied and searched in StoryBoard these days. You can
search them from the sidebar search, or from the search bar at the top
of the list of stories, *not* the header search (yup, search needs some
improvements....) :) Anyway, this means it's possible to tag things as
'low-hanging-fruit', and for someone else to see all things tagged that
way, so the same workflow *can* be used, but it depends on people
remembering to tag things.

(In theory it's possible to make an automatic worklist from that tag,
though in practice those are a bit buggy-- they don't return all the
stories they should-- and we're still investigating it. Automatic
worklists seem fine for everything *but* tags, for added amusement.)