[OpenStack-Infra] Wiki.o.o sustaining spam attack

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at princessleia.com
Fri Mar 25 17:51:57 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 6:51 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> A quick search indicates we likely want a root sysadmin to run a
> maintenance script[*] and purge the history of deleted pages. Keep
> in mind this would be removing the history for any pages we've
> deleted for any reason, not just spam pages, so it's worth
> discussing if that's a loss of historical data we're willing to
> accept.

As a data point, I had to restore the How_To_Contribute page the other
day after the following happened:

1. Spammer moved How_To_Contribute to a 555-5p4m-number-woo page
2. Spammer replaced the content with spam
3. SmitSpam deleted the page as spam
4. How_To_Contribute was no more and someone came into channel to
report it missing

With the history intact I was able to revert everything by working
from the missing How_To_Contribute page to get us back to the last
working copy.

So it's not just about the history of old pages we intentionally deleted.