[OpenStack-Infra] Openstack Infra's puppet manifests and Puppet style guide.

Andrey Nikitin anikitin at mirantis.com
Thu Mar 24 10:42:58 UTC 2016

Hello everyone!

By this message I want to start a discussion about using of the Puppet
style guide [0] in the 'openstack-infra/puppet-*' projects. As you can
see, I've created a lot of change-requests to the repositories some days
ago. I started this work, because I saw, that those manifests have
different styles of the code, therefore I wanted to refactor and make
much better them. For example, some of them have unsorted and
unstructured lists of variables, some of them have no docstrings in the
body with description of used variables and so on. I suppose, that we
can unify those manifests by following the puppet style guide, but
opinions are divided.

My point of view is following: if we implement the style guide on puppet
manifests, we will have unified and structured manifests with
documentation for all classes. We can use it without alphabetically
sorting of variables, of course.

So, my questions to you are:
1. Should we follow the style guide or not?
2. What the recommendation we could implement on Openstack Infra manifests?

[0]. https://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/style_guide.html

--
Andrey Nikitin
anikitin at mirantis.com