[OpenStack-Infra] Wiki.o.o sustaining spam attack

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Tue Mar 22 16:14:24 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 03:32:23PM +0800, Tom Fifield wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I'm sad to say that:
>
> * spammers are back - 100-odd pages have gone in over the weekend
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Special:NewPages
>
> * Cleanup was ineffective, with many spam pages still existing on the wiki
> (scroll through the NewPages link above)

So, just a quick update to this.  We just landed 287323[1] which installs
SmiteSpam[2]. If you are in the bureaucrat group on wiki.o.o you'll be able to
access it.

Currently I've started the process on cleanup the wiki.  At the moment, I've
blocked 54[3] account and delete 430+[4] pages. I'll send a follow up email once
I am done for the day, but moving forward it will be easier for admins to detect
the spam and stop it faster.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/287232/
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Special:SmiteSpam
[3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Special:Log/block