[OpenStack-Infra] Switching test jobs to Xenial and the Trusty, Xenial split

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Jun 28 22:00:22 UTC 2016

Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org> writes:

> The downside here is we double our total number of jobs (though we do
> not double the number of gearman job registrations since gearman will
> register a job per node type regardless of option used). It is also much
> more explicit and will likely require a greater understanding of our job
> configs to edit them (this isn't all bad, where things used to mostly
> work before by magic they will now work by explicit design).

Thank you for the problem statement and the proposals.  It helps me to
thing in examples -- if I'm following, we get the following
registrations with the two options:

The first results in:

build:tempest
build:tempest:trusty
build:tempest:xenial

The second results in:

build:tempest-trusty
build:tempest-trusty:trusty
build:tempest-xenial
build:tempest-xenial:xenial

And our current state is:

build:tempest
build:tempest:trusty

So the first option is 1.5x our current registration (of affected jobs)
and the second is 2x.

Unfortunately, we recently scaled past our ability to handle the
magnitude of function registrations we have; in fact, we recently merged
a stop-gap change to Zuul just to try to handle the current load.  I'm
not sure how long that will last us, and whether we can actually sustain
the number of registrations at issue here.  We may want to do some
testing.  And we may want to try to minimize the impact (in whatever
ways we can -- for example by choosing one of those options over the
other or defining/limiting the set of affected jobs).  I hate having to
even regard this as a factor in making this decision, but this is where
I think we are.

We may want to consider extraordinary measures such as yet another
"private" option to zuul-launcher to reduce the number of unnecessary
function registrations as a further stop-gap.

This is, of course, one of the biggest problems we are solving in Zuul
v3, and I think it will be solved well (both in terms of the user
experience in specifying this kind of thing as well as the ability for
the system to handle it), but unfortunately we aren't there yet.
Hopefully this will at least be the last time we have to deal with this
problem.

-Jim