[OpenStack-Infra] Questions when Desired Project Name and Launchpad URL does not match for a new project

HU, BIN bh526r at att.com
Thu Jun 23 05:52:04 UTC 2016

Hi,

We want to create a new StackForge project "Gluon", and we intend to use the repo name "openstack/gluon". But the Launchpad URL is different ("python-gluon"). We read the details of instruction http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/creators.html, and examples in http://git.openstack.org/cgit, but still couldn't find the way to resolve this issue.

(1)    I have created our Launchpad project, named "Gluon":

-          https://launchpad.net/python-gluon

o   Note that the Display Name in the Launch is "Gluon", but the URL is "python-gluon" according to instruction.

o   This is because someone has registered another "gluon" project in Launchpad and used the URL "gluon", which has nothing to do with OpenStack, and it is for gaming. See https://launchpad.net/gluon for another unrelated project in Launchpad.

-          We still intend to use "openstack/gluon" as our project/repo name, which is available now.

(2)    I have registered package name "gluon" in PyPi, and added "openstackci" as owner too.

Now I am starting to add this project into OpenStack CI system. I have 3 questions:

(1)    Are those names case-sensitive?

(2)    Because our Gluon project's the Launchpad URL is "python-gluon", which is different from our intended OpenStack project name "openstack/gluon", what should I do?

a.       I see an example the manual:

- project: openstack/<projectname>
  groups:
     - oslo

                So should I use "groups: -gluon" or something else to resolve the mismatch of "openstack/gluon" and "https://launchpad.net/python-gluon"?

(3)    In https://git.openstack.org/openstack-dev/cookiecutter.json, I see:

{
        "module_name": "replace with the name of the python module",
        "repo_group": "openstack",
        "repo_name": "replace with the name for the git repo",
        "launchpad_project": "replace with the name of the project on launchpad",
        "project_short_description": "OpenStack Boilerplate contains all the boilerplate you need to create an OpenStack package."
}

Note the bolded "replace with the name of the project on launchpad":

-          what does this mean?

-          Should it be changed because of project name/repo "openstack/gluon" and Launchpad URL "python-gluon"?

Thank you for help
Bin