[OpenStack-Infra] Feedback after the infra midcycle

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Feb 26 09:51:12 UTC 2016

Spencer Krum wrote:
> Things that went well:
>
> * Many people expressed that focusing on a single topic made the event
> great.

I think that's a very good point. I think we had three types of midcycle
events. In the first one you meet to get together to know each other
better and converge on a common goal. I call them "team building"
midcycles. In the second one you have a specific objective and leverage
high-bandwidth and increased focus to get there a lot faster than you
would online. I call those "sprints". The third one was a bit specific
to the infra team, where you would train people on the art of infra... I
would call that "onboarding" or "training".

My hope is that with the event split we won't need as much "team
building" ones, but I can certainly see "sprints" (online or f2f) and
onboarding events to persist. The key benefit is that it's easier to
decide if you should come when you precisely know what will be covered
and decided there. For example I opted to skip the infracloud sprint,
while I may have felt compelled to attend a more generic "Infra
midcycle" for fear of missing out on critical decisions.

> [...]
> * This is the first infra sprint that wasn't focused on 'infra 101'
> training for brand new contributors. Several attendees said they felt
> they got a lot more work done at this sprint than when bootstrapping was
> a topic.

Well, we actually had a "storyboard"-focused sprint some time ago that
was also not about training, and was also very productive :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)