[OpenStack-Infra] [Shade]

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Feb 22 15:44:25 UTC 2016

On 02/21/2016 09:42 AM, David Cramer wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We've encountered an edge case where Shade (via the os_server module in
> Ansible 2.0) fails because the call to v2.0/floatingips/{id} is not
> returning a status. We have tenants in different data centers. It is
> only in one of these that we encounter this problem. In the others,
> os_server is able to spin up servers and assign a floating ip just fine.
>
> I am able to hack around the problem by modifying _utils.py
> <https://github.com/openstack-infra/shade/blob/master/shade/_utils.py#L322>,
> changing:
>
>     status=ip['status']
>
> to hardcode the status as ACTIVE:
>
>     status='ACTIVE'
>
> With that change, os_server works fine.
>
> This may well be a problem with the configuration of Neutron in this
> particular data center, and we've opened a support ticket with the cloud
> team. However, I wonder if it's also advisable to modify Shade so that
> normalize_neutron_floating_ips defaults to status='ACTIVE' if no status
> is supplied from the call to v2.0/floatingips/{id}. I notice that
> normalize_nova_floating_ips always returns status='ACTIVE' because nova
> does not return a status.

It sounds like a thing we should do in normalize_neutron_floating_ips
for sure. I'd love to see if we can figure out why we're not getting a
status - or if there are any cases where supplying 'active' when we get
nothing might harm us.

We also have this patch:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/256025/

which indicates that at least someone else has encountered a status-less
ip - but we still don't have a great understanding of what's going on here.

I'm going to try to poke some neutron people about it - but let's
certainly get a fix in there.