[OpenStack-Infra] right way to report odd infrastructure issues?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Feb 12 23:33:23 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-12 14:37:45 -0500 (-0500), Sean Dague wrote:
> For most of these issues infra-root is needed. So self debug isn't
> reasonable.
>
> If the answer to how to address issues is only "go bug people in IRC
> until you get attention", I don't think we're ever going to dig out of
> the current overload. My hope was if there was some more registered way
> to handle issues then prioritization / triage could happen.

Sure, but what we need for the sorts of problems you're talking
about, taking the one you raised as an example, is an incident
tracker. They're not really "bugs" in the traditional sense, may
self-correct before anyone gets a chance to look into them, and
often involve running down contacts at various service providers
rather than patching software somewhere. The volume is such that
we'd spend time trying to deal with the busywork of cleaning up
reports which are too old to be relevant (these sorts of things can
become irrelevant or untraceable in a matter of days or even
minutes) instead of dealing with new emergencies... or more likely
just not have time to look at them to figure out which ones are
relevant and so it rapidly becomes a swamp of unusable noise.