[OpenStack-Infra] list description (was: XenServer & RDO)

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at princessleia.com
Mon Feb 8 19:11:39 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2016-01-31 19:03:24 -0800 (-0800), cacook at quantum-sci.com wrote:
>> The description says "Infrastructure support for the OpenStack
>> project" and that's the issue I'm dealing with, so I thought I'd
>> subscribed to precisely the right list. Apparently this is a
>> different infrastructure though.
>
> Yep, "infrastructure" is too vague of a term to be easily
> disambiguated in a one-line mailing list description. I'd love if
> someone could come up with a less confusing description which
> indicates that this is where we discuss the servers and services
> which allow our project's developers and extended community to
> productively communicate and work on making OpenStack (or I can just
> use my wording from this sentence if nobody has a better idea).

As you all know, I spend a lot of time at conferences trying to
clearly explain what we do. So I've put a great deal of thought into
this over the years. My much-too-verbose in person line is:

"We work on the infrastructure for the OpenStack project, so the
Continuous Integration system, Etherpad, ELK stack, IRC bots, i18n
systems and everything else that OpenStack project contributors
interact with on a daily basis to develop OpenStack."

After I saw this email, I had 15 hours on a plane to think about how
to make this more concise for our mailing list, so my proposal is
something along the lines of:

"Development and maintenance of the project infrastructure and tooling
used by contributors to develop OpenStack."