[OpenStack-Infra] [kolla] making stable/mitaka == stable/liberty

Michał Jastrzębski inc007 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:28:41 UTC 2016

tl;dr: it will not happen again because we'll be able to fix our own
bugs and not depend on Ansible policy. Also we don't predict
architectural changes anytime soon as what we have is pretty solid. We
got shot down by our dependencies really.

So reason this thing is even a thing is because of Ansible really. We
used ansible 1.9.4 in Liberty and Mitaka, moving to 2.0+ is high on
our list of priorities. Official docker module in ansible had a bug in
1.9.4 preventing us from using docker higher than 1.8. In docker 1.9
crucial feature was merged that enabled us to have data persistance -
volumes. Thing about ansible was they didn't want to merge bugfix in
1.9 so we were pretty much screwed, can't update docker, can't update
ansible (2.0 wasn't even released back then and it isn't completely
backwards compatible). In Mitaka we wrote our own docker module.

I hope it clarifies it a bit.

Cheers,
Michal