[OpenStack-Infra] logstash URL queries.

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Fri Oct 16 14:24:58 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 08:51:21AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 10/16/2015 07:45 AM, Tony Breeds wrote:
> > Hi Everybody,
> >     So it looks to me like we recently updated logstash.openstack.org to a
> > newer version of kibabna?
> >
> > I'll very openly admit that my logstash fu is wanting but I'm having a little
> > trouble
> >
> > 1) I can't work out how to after performing my query/filtering share the
> >    results (for example in a LP bug).  I tried using the sharable link but it
> >    always comes up with:
> >        http://logstash.openstack.org/#dashboard/undefined/undefined
> >    and that URL doesn't work by magic :(

That's better than what I get, when I click it I get an empty bar.

> >    How do we share queries now?
>
> That's a really good question, without sharable urls we're sort of dead
> in the water.

Yeah, we need to make sure this works.

> > 2) It looks to me like all our old saved URLs are now invalid, this is a big of
> >    a problem for open bugs with logstash URLs in them.
> >
> >    Is there anyway we can make the old URLs work again?
> >
> > 3) I'm sure that the following is a valid query:
> >    message:"ValueError: git history requires a target version of pbr.version.SemanticVersion(5.0.1), but target version is pbr.version.SemanticVersion(5.0.0)" AND tags:"console" AND project:openstack/requirements
> >    but it just spins and never seems to return any matches.  If instead I set
> >    the query to :
> >    message:"ValueError: git history requires a target version of pbr.version.SemanticVersion(5.0.1), but target version is pbr.version.SemanticVersion(5.0.0)"
> >    and use the UI to add filters for tags:"console" and project:openstack/requirements
> >
> >    I do get some results.
> >
> >    Is there a problem with my query or the backend?
> >
> > Just to be clear, I don't mean this email to sound like I'm complaining, I'm
> > just confused and looking for help.
>
> I noticed that we've appeared to deploy v3.1.2, which was released Nov
> 2014. Is there a reason we're not on 4.1.2 which is a more recent version?

We need to upgrade elastic search to be able to use the latest kibana. The
upgrade to kibana 3 was a prereq for upgrading elastic search. Once we have
a newer version of ES then we can look at kibana 4.

-Matt